Monday, February 11, 2008

San Francisco


So saturday after our garage sale, Nate and I went to San Francisco sans baby to visit our friend Roberto. He's there on a one year fellowship for some california public policy institute. Anyways, we were going to be there for only 28 hours so we packed in as much stuff as possible. It was so fun. It was great seeing Roberto again just hanging out drinking and talking like the good old days back in Verano.

So we hung out on Hayes by the Symphony Hall and Roberto actually tried some absinthe. It tasted like Ouzo. Who would have guessed. Well, according to Roberto, that shit's pretty potent. It had him seeing double for a while which sucks because afterwards, we went to the symphony and I'm not sure he was really into it. We ran into our friend Gary's gay buddies at the symphony. It was a really great program. Ligiti and Bartok. We left during intermission so we didnt' here Shostakovich.

Later, we went to the Castro and munched on some pizza before drinking more at the Mix bar. As we were heading for the cable car stop, we passed by Twin Peaks and inside, there was Amy Tan (or so I thought). I got Nate to scream into the bar "AMY" to see if she would respond, but instead, everyone else screamed back. We met some cool kids from Pusan, South Korea waiting for the cable car to arrive.

We were staying a some crappy hotel The Monarch. Don't ever stay there. Its in the tenderloin. I really diddn't have a good stay there. At 3 in the morning, I woke up because of loud noises. I could hear a bed squeeking and some woman sceeming "Do That" and some guy moaning like he was retarded. Anyways, I couldn't go back to sleep so I kept peeping out the door because I thought the cops had come, but it turns out the woman was a hooker and as she was leaving the guy's room, I could hear him say to her "thanks, I'll never forget you." On top of that, there were bed bugs and Nate got some bites on his leg.

Anyways, when I woke up in the morning for coffee I saw people still coming in and out of the Element Lounge across the street. So I woke up Nate and we decided to check it out at 8:30 in the morning. I thought they were still open from the night before. But it turned out to be an after hours lounge from 6am-2pm. Both Nate and I were so happy we found this place. How come we've never been to an after hours party. I guess we had it all wrong. It's really not a place you want to go after partying all night long. It's really a great place for people who wake up early and want to party. Everyone looked well rested except this one dirty bitch who looked so tore up. But, we just drank and danced all morning till about 12. It was so much fun. It was someone's birthday and they even gave us some cake.

Earlier in the week, I was watching the Battle for Algiers and there's a scene in the film where a group of young people are drinking and dancing in a bar in the middle of the day, before they all get blasted. Anyways, it had me thinking how come there's no place to go in the afternoon to drink and dance and just have a relaxing good time. I can't believe I actually found a place. Nate and I are always wondering why people feel like they can't party till 10:30 at night. And as parents, this may be the best way to go out and get that party/club vibe. It's probably a lot easier to get someone to babysit from 9am to 2pm rather than 9pm to 2am.

Anyways, an even better way is to bring your baby along. I guess that's the idea behind Baby Disco. I hope to go to next month's party.

I'll post the pictures later.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

how do you have such a life??

Karen said...

I don't know, but we gotta take advantage while we can.

Unknown said...

your trip sounds like it was hella fun! man, i gotta find an after hours spot here in l.a. that would be so freakin awesome!!!! what was that drink-vodka? anywho-glad y'all we're able to get away.

Karen said...

thanks jane. i forgot to mention in the post that you babysat for us. there's a whole lot more to the story. we'll tell you later.

Unknown said...

don't trip! hope you're feeling better, un-nee! holla about saturday, but via cel (i got a new one!)

Unknown said...

don't trip! hope you're feeling better, un-nee! holla about saturday, but via cel (i got a new one!)